Thursday, November 17, 2011

Not Moving After All

About a year ago, when I was chatting about coming back to blogging again, I mentioned peeking around at other blogging platforms to determine if Blogger was still the home for me. Well, last night, after posting my World of Warcraft blog, I jumped over to a fwe other blogging platforms. After an hour or so of research, I settled on WordPress. My work on ColonelEz.net gave me a taste of what you could do with WordPress, and I think their dashboard control area is about a million times more advanced than Bloggers.

I spent many more hours building a blog over there, going so far as to actually import the contents of this blog over there. I played with the themes, read about pages, made a few of my own, and generally had a good time with it. I enjoyed the amount of customization that WordPress allows.

Not to mention, I was severely disappointed by the utter lack of customization available within Blogger's new dynamic views.

Thing is, I kept running into this problem with WordPress. Namely, there'd be some detail or another I didn't like about a theme, but I wasn't allowed to change it. You see, WordPress is actually a pay to blog service, or, at least, pay to get the most out of your blog service. Want to change fonts? Pay for it. Want to run off your own domain? Pay for it.

Many of the things that WordPress wants to charge me for (and they want a LOT of money sometimes), Blogger gives me for free. As a result, I've decided to stick around Blogger for now, but bear with me as I goof around with carious themes and skins as I try to find the right one. The dynamic view angers me with it's zero customization options, so I'm going to try to find a better one.

Until tomorrow!

EDIT: After several hours of goofing around with themes and layouts, I believe I finally have one I like. Plus, I finally have pages that function almost how I'd like them to eventually, thanks in HUGE part to fiddling around with the code provided from this blog. Yay. More categories coming soon, if all goes according to plan.

No comments:

Popular Posts