Friday, November 20, 2009

New Moon (Yes, it's Infecting This Blog Too)

I can write about this only because everybody in my office area at work has been talking about this movie for months. It's only picked up in intensity over the last few weeks as we've approached... tonight. Well, last night actually. Last night at midnight, fans swarmed into movie theaters to witness the release of the second movie in Stephanie Meyer's ridiculously popular Twilight Saga. My thoughts...


Last night when the movie was released at the midnight showings, it blew the previous midnight opening record out of the water. The previous record-holder was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which held the record with $22.2M. New Moon blew past this with a really awesome $26.27M. Millions upon millions of girls everywhere are screaming for Taylor Lautner's bare chest. Lordy knows enough people in my office area are... I was in the break room this morning, and said actor was being interviewed by Regis Philbin. I think Regis was playing with the audience, because he kept talking about those darned shirtless scenes. The screams from the studio audience were shrill and piercing. Perhaps I should expand my reader demographic by inserting a picture here too....

Just kidding! :-)

Anyhoo, I have never watched nor read anything from this "Saga", though I suspect it is many orders of magnitude better than the aforementioned little wizard kid that everybody's been obsessed over for a few years now. Many people that I know that are familiar with my taste in movies and books insist that I would like Twilight, but I have yet to bring myself to pick up that first book. There will come a time, in all likelihood, that I will succumb to the peer pressure and give it a spin. You never know, you might be seeing some rave reviews here on this blog about... gasp... Twilight.

The books could also suck too. In the minds of teen girls everywhere, I will burn in hell for saying that. YES!

Anyway, I write this after talking to a bunch of folks who either have seen or are going to see the film. The film has done rather poorly in the critic department, but as we've seen this summer, it doesn't take much for the critics to be abysmally wrong about pretty much anything. For those interested, the movie clocks in at an abysmal 30% on the tomatometer. To give the movie credit, the reviews essentially boil down to "fans of the book will like it, non-fans might not," which is essentially saying the movie is awesome considering that most of the people likely to see this movie (dragged-along significant others aside) have read and are rabid fans of said book. They also list "downcast tone" as a bad thing... since when is a depressing movie a bad thing?

Count me among the folks not seeing this movie (at least for now). Instead, I will sit around patiently and wait for the next episode of Stargate Universe.

No comments:

Popular Posts