Friday, May 08, 2009

Star Trek Again

The hours are dragging by as I sit around and anticipate what might be the best movie moment to come along in years. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is that I'm so excited about when it comes to Star Trek. I've never had much love for the franchise. My dad tried over and over to get me to watch Star Trek with him, and time and time again, even at an early age, the acting and pervading cheesiness kept me from truly enjoying the show. I love Patrick Stewart, but I was never able to get into his iteration of the show, and though many friends tried, I never picked up any love for Deep Space Nine either. 

Yet, from the moment I saw the teaser during my midnight viewing of Cloverfield (and every time I saw the movie in theaters thereafter), I was like "I must see this movie." Perhaps it has to do with my ridiculously high opinion of JJ Abrams. The man is simply a genius. Put him together with his team of writers, and magic happens on screen. I point to Cloverfield and Lost as evidence. Fringe is getting up there too. 

Perhaps it's the utterly fascinating quirk that is Zachary Quinto is Spock. That sure caught my attention in a hurry. Zachary Quinto is currently famous for playing Sylar in Heroes. I have my issues with Syalr the character, but never have I thought he was poorly acted. In fact, Quinto gets so into that character, plays him so well, it's difficult for me to see him (for the moment, anyway) as Spock, an almost polar opposite of Sylar. 

Lately, my excitement has been thrown into overdrive with the avalanche of enthusiastic reviews. Anybody who checks Rotten Tomatoes regularly knows that the scores there are generally low - a good movie usually scores in the 70s. Well, up until a couple of days ago, the RT score was sitting prettily at 100%. Today, as of this writing, it has a 96% (174/182 rating it "Fresh"). That is simply unheard of on RT for all but the most amazing movies (usually reserved for arthouse flicks). Chris over at The Knight Shift wrote a positively glowing review of the movie as well. Friends I know who've seen it are already planning on going back, not just once, but as many times as they possibly can. 

Anyway, regardless of the reason, I am stoked, and that's the first time I've ever been able to say that about a Star Trek movie (or anything with Star Trek in the name, for that matter). I'll be tweeting mobile style all night leading up to the show, so feel free to hit me up on Twitter

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive