Monday, May 04, 2009

More Movies - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and Transformers: Rise of the Fallen

One quick aside: there is a lot of "rising" going on with this summer's movies.

The X-Men movie, though piss-poor, was definitely not bad enough to dampen my spirits about this summer. There are still a tremendous number of great movies slated for release in the coming months, and I can't wait to keep it going. This Friday gives us Star Trek, which, if the critics are to be believed, is phenomenal

Also, we finally have an actual trailer for G.I. Joe, which you can view right here on this very blog:


As I watch the trailer, I'm struck by the notion that the film has potential to be a special effects bonanza that falls short in the story department. While that approach works for some movies (read: Die Hard), it will fail with this one, I think. G.I. Joe has a great and rich background from which to pull material, so it will be disappointing if the folks behind this movie don't bother pulling any of it. 

Also, the first Transformers movie stole the Best Movie of 2007 on my old MySpace blog, so I'm understating when I say I can't wait for the followup. Everything worked for me about the first one, especially the soundtrack, composed by Steve Jablonsky. The movie roared into theaters with a big story, fascinating and well-acted characters, stupifying special effects, and a score that brought everything together and stole many, many hours away from my life. 

Well, we've got the same cast, same crew, and same composer* back for the second, so it should be exciting. 

* In addition to Steve Jablonsky, the rumor mill has Hans Zimmer working on the score as well. I'm down with this so long as Zimmer doesn't fiddle with the things that made Jablonsky's score to the original so good. Also, Linkin Park will be back, throwing their garbage in for the Official Music From and Inspired By soundtrack... barf. I'll wait for the score.

I saw the new trailer for Transformers 2 prior to X-Men, so I figured I'd post that here too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive