Thursday, June 04, 2009

Juicy Details from Mass Effect 2

With E3 coming to a close today, I've had a chance to look back on it and find the things I am most excited about. And the thing I am most excited about... three words. 

Mass. Effect. Two.

Holy cow the details came pouring out of E3 over the last couple of days. Additionally, OXM ran a very detailed report prior to E3, giving us tons of new details. Shepard's not dead, at least, in the beginning of the game he's alive. Sigh of relief. I started playing Mass Effect again last night, a new game plus with my level 52 Vanguard. I almost forgot how easy it is to get swept away by the game's deftly executed story and the deep and engaging characters. I don't think that one will be leaving my XBox until I beat it again. 

The best character in the game is, of course, Commander Shepard. He is whoever you make him, and that, combined with the sheer intensity of the story, make him into a character you care about. He is, after all, YOU in game form. So the idea that he may end up dead... well, it's a little startling. 

Anyway, Bioware told OXM that the Geth shown in the teaser trailer (you know, the one that looks like it's wearing Shepard's armor) is actually a character in the game, one that we as the audience are going to empathize with a great deal. so does that mean...

Could Shepard be turned into a Geth? A little out there, but it might be feasible. Only time will tell.

Also confirmed is that the decisions you made in the first game will impact the second game. Nobody's sure if every decision will matter. But if you killed Wrex, expect him to remain dead when you continue into Mass Effect 2. If you allowed the Council to die, then they will remain dead, and whatever form of government you allowed to be established at the end of the game will be in place (or in the process of being created) when you begin Mass Effect 2. Also, the choices that you make in this game - supposedly darker and more impacting - will continue to shape how the game plays. Bioware says that the decisions you make in ME2 will directly impact how the game plays, there will be more deaths, and the choices will be much harder with more serious consequences. I don't know about you, but the decision to let the Council die when I was playing as a Renegade was tough. It was hard to let them die, because the characters were so real, it was like making a decision to let somebody actually die. If the choices are darker in the sequel, I may not be able to continue on with my Renegade.

Bioware has not confirmed how your character's level and skills will transfer over, if they do at all. I'd be a little disappointed if all the time I will take to get my Vanguard up to level 60 goes to waste, but given the already huge complexity of the game, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me. I know many people who would be just up in arms about it though. 

The story, as we know it so far, revolves around the mysterious disappearance of several human colonies. Shepard takes on a mission to investigate it, a mission headed by Cerberus. The mission is considered a suicide mission, but we as players, will surely find a way to survive... right?

I am ready for this game. 

The game is slated for release in early 2010, and it truly can't get here fast enough. Here's a trailer with which to bide our time, courtesy of the folks over at IGN. Play it hi-res if at all possible. 

No comments:

Popular Posts