Friday, August 14, 2009

The Horror...and the Health Care Reform

I have a story for you.

My car registration was up for renewal in July. I sent in a check at the beginning of the month, which was cashed on July 17th. Almost one month later, I have not received my new stickers or registration card. I've taken to carrying a printed copy of the cashed check in my car just in case I get pulled over for my plates being expired.

Numerous calls to the El Paso County Clerk and Recorder offices have yielded me, "We mailed it, it should come in the mail any day now." That answer is unsatisfactory at best, as I am currently driving around with expired plates, which carries quite a fine should I be unlucky enough to have a cop behind me at a red light. I called again today, all three offices, and was met with the same voicemail on each one. "We are sorry we are unable to answer your call. Please leave a message, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible." There was also a note on there about how 2 of the 3 offices are closed on Fridays, and they're not open weekends, so the soonest I could expect a call back is on Monday.

So, I drove my expired car down to the only office in the Springs that's open on Fridays and sat in the "Get in line here to receive a number" line, which didn't move once in the ten minutes I stood there before losing my patience and leaving. If the line to get a number is that ridiculous, I can only imagine how long I'd be waiting once I received my number.

I came back to my office and jumped on the DMV website, trying to see if there was another way I could escalate my situation online. Of course, there was none, but I did find the conveniently helpful message "Due to severe budget cuts, only the Chapel Hills office will be open on Fridays. All other locations will be open Monday - Friday." Or something to that effect.

So, the trek to get the stickers I paid for will resume on Monday, I suppose.

I bring this up on this blog, because of all the debate for and against the health care reform that will essentially allow the government to run our health care. Can you imagine a health care system run by the same inefficient bureaucrats that run the DMV services?

Can you imagine going to the hospital where you must wait in line to get a number, then chill in the waiting room until your number is called? More to the point, could you imagine driving a loved one to the emergency room only to find they are closed, a sign hung on the door that reads "Due to the severe budget cuts, this emergency room location is only open Monday - Thursday, 8:00am - 5:00pm. Thank you."

That's a truly scary thought.

No comments:

Popular Posts