Friday, March 20, 2009

More on Resident Evil 5



It's official: Resident Evil 5 is the best game I've played on the 360 and is easily in the top 3 games ever. I've spent the last two days with my attention divided between co-oping the campaign with my room mate Kevin over split screen and playing The Mercenaries mode. For starters, when playing the campaing in co-op, you can take everything I said in my first review and multiply that by 4 or 5 or so. There just is not a game that is more fun to play out for any system right now. I mean, Kevin and I are so into this game, so excited by the prostect of playing it, other things in our lives have kind of fallen by the wayside. There is time for eating, sleeping, working, bathing, and Resident Evil. This week has been filled with 5pm to 3am gaming sessions and a decided lack of that sleep thing. It's made for one very sleepy week at work, but I just can't motivate myself to quit once I start playing. 

Our nights have transformed from relaxed, do whatever nights into intense, edge-of-our-seats action, with us shouting things at each other (Behind you! I need ammo! Etc.) and unable to bear even the short loading screens. It's ridiculous. After running through the campaign on co-op, we switched gears and started playing a made called The Mercenaries, which is unlocked after beating the game once on any difficulty. This mode is amazingly addicting, hard as hell, and really intense. I haven't had this much fun playing a video game in... well, I'm not sure if I've ever had this much fun in front of a gaming console. 



I would also like to go out on a limb here and say that Chris Redfield is one of the more interesting and well-developed characters in modern video gaming. Sheva's awesome too, but Chris is obviously the central character here, and Capcom does a great job of making him one that I care about. It's been too long in a non-RPG video game where I gave a damn about the main characters, and RE5 fills that void plus some. Kudos to Capcom for putting the time into this storyline to make it rock.

I've said a TON about this game in the past week or so, so let me sum everything up right here in one sentence: This game defines what video games should be. 

As such, I have updated the previous review with a more accurate score. Score: 10.0/10.0.




So, I was browsing the Amazon reviews, and I found some particularly entertaining ones, which I've pasted here for my own personal amusement. Check them out.

5 of 56 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars HYPED UP TRASHMarch 13, 2009
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars 
The demo was all I needed to play to determine that this game is garbage. From the slow, sluggish controls and elephant-like movement of the characters to the hilarious "starvin' marvin'" chainsaw guy, this game must be some kind of joke. Resident evil 4 was one of my top 3 favorite games of all time, as well as a huge success worldwide. 
It's obvious that they were just trying to re-create resident evil 4, only in Africa this time instead of Europe, and with ethnic characters to try and reach out to the areas of the market that they may have missed with RE4. The result is a glitch-ridden disaster that is as boring as it is difficult to control. It's about as entertaining as wathcing one of those ads for the christian children's fund.


Do I even need to say anything about this one? Pathetic, yet remarkably funny for it's complete ignorant-but-trying-to-sound-smart tone.

I'm pretty sure this next one is meant as a sarcastic insult against those like the above reviewer who don't actually play the game before reviewing it, but it is kind of funny, if poorly written.

8 of 50 people found the following review helpful:
2.0 out of 5 stars Can't tell a game by its coverMarch 13, 2009
By Steve Ptasznik "GowithGod" (Costa Mesa, Ca) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars 
Why not take it a step further from reviewing games having only just playing them for a couple hours. Let's rate a game by its cover. First off, on the cover, Chris and Sheva should be switching places so we can see Sheva's cleavage. But looking at the back cover, under the Mature rating, it does not include sexuality. So that would make sense that Chris is in the forefront. Now I must say, and I'm no, what do you call it, fanboy(I think you have to be under 12 with pimples to be a fanboy), the cover for the PS3 looks much better than the Xbox 360. Oh wait, my bad, I have not opened the game and the wrapping makes the cover look all shiny and bright. Ok, I take that back, it looks the same as the 360. Sticking with the visuals. On the back cover it reads "Intense visuals so real, you won't be able to forget them." Since I don't have to face fear alone, why would I want to remember them. That is a big thumbs down for me, I give the graphics a one star. Now I hear a lot of complaints about the control, especially with those who played the demo. Now I have not even played the demo, let alone, unwrapped RE5, but the game feels pretty good in my hand, I'm able to flip it over and back over again with no problem. However, the game slipped from my hands and fell when my hands got a little sweaty. Again, like the graphis, I have to contribute that to the plastic wrapping. I give the controls a 4 stars. The fun factor gets a 1 star as the excitement of my purchase has worn off after reading the back cover twice now. I don't know about you, but are you aware that this game has blood and gore, intense violence, and strong language? As far as bringing down the rating, Don't worry, after the hundreds of ratings, mine will not matter. I'll update my rating after I have played the game for one hour. I'll then provide another review once I finish the game. As for those on the fence on which system to buy it on, I would wait for it to come out on the WIIIII!!! I have an insider scoop from a fanboy that it is coming out on the Wii on 4/1/09 and will also have Sheva wearing a G-sting. Now don't be hating on me 360 fanboys as according to the Mature rating, you must be 17+ to play this game.


Amusing, but really stupid. 



Finally, a review I actually had to respond to.

4 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars Tell me it isn't true!March 17, 2009
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars 
Resident Evil 5 had to be my most anticipated video game relase in a very long time. Too bad I was greatly disapointed with it... 
This isn't to say that the game is absolutely horrible, it just doesn't live up to the expectations I, and many others had. 

My biggest problem with the game is the actual gameplay. Resident Evil 4's gameplay, while far from perfect, was forgiveable because it was a HUGE improvement over all the previous entries in the series (and yes, I have played them ALL). Resident Evil 5's? Not so much. In fact, if memory serves me right, the controls are exactly the same. The inability to move while shooting or using your knife is completely ridiculous and unnecessary. And would it have absolutely killed the development team to put a little more ammo in the game? These things DO NOT make for a more fun, intense, scary game, they make for an incredibly frustrating and unenjoyable one! And speaking of scary, aren't Resident Evil games supposed to be at least a little bit scary? Because this one is not. 

How about the co-op gameplay? Well, I wish I could tell you how it is, but contrary to popular belief some people still enjoy a deep, solid, single player experience in a game! I am one of those people. I don't really have a friend who is into gaming, and I don't care to play with a stranger over Xbox-Live. I can't help but feel Capcom left people like me in the dust. Sure, you can still play the game with an AI Sheva, but this hinders the experience even further. She goes through ammo WAAAY too fast, which is a huge problem due to the incredible lack of it, and she does the same with health items. I can respect what Capcom was trying to do, but I wish they would have had a single player option to play as either Chris or Sheva without the other one. 

The game does have it's strong points as well. The story and sound are very good, and the graphics are outstanding. Most of the "zombies" seem like they were just recycled from RE4, but the bosses are very inventive and cool. Although I haven't beat the game yet, I have heard that there are plenty of unlockable items and game modes to keep playing the game long after you beat it. I know I shared my personal view as a single player on the co-op gameplay, but I suspect that the game would be a lot of fun for those who DO have someone to play it with. 

After saying all of that, I would be lying if I said I didn't regret paying $59.99 to buy this game. It is a good enough game to warrant a rent, or maybe a buy later when you can get it used for a lot less money, but I don't think it is worth sixty bucks. I plan on finishing the game quickly, and selling it used right after so I can get as much of my money back as I can. There is still some fun to be had, but after all the time they spent developing this game I expected much more.


Let's start at the top. This reviewer is incapable of aligning his expectations to what was actually delivered. A game, particularly a sequel in a long running and popular franchise, is always going to have fans with lofty expectations. Chances are high that the game will not meet everybody's, and that's usually not the fault of the game, but rather the people who set their expectations too high. RE5 exceeded my expectations, and I thought those were pretty lofty as they were.

The default controls in RE5 are not the same as those in RE4, though you can change them to be. And we return to that whole point of not being able to move while shooting/knifing. I get it that it's a very subjective thing, but it certainly doesn't break the game.

Putting more ammo in the game would be silly. There's already more than enough ammo to make it through the game on even the hardest difficulty, so I fail to see a reason to add more. True, there is definitely a shortage of magnum ammo, but the guns that use those bullets are absurdly strong, so limited ammo is a must to maintain game balance.

Resident Evil 5 is a blast in single player. I gave it a freaking 9.9 just on the single player alone. I never had problems keeping both Sheva and myself well-stocked with ammo and herbs. 

Yes, the game's story is very, very good, and the graphics... well, "outstanding" just doesn't do them justice. The game would've been wrth $80.


No comments:

Popular Posts