Monday, July 06, 2009

More Transformers Goodness

So, I saw the movie again this weekend. Couldn't help myself really. I watched the first movie on my Xbox 360 HD DVD attachment, which I bought specifically so I could watch Transformers in HD. Oops. Don't get me wrong, the movie is phenomenal in HD, but the HD DVD went the way of the Dodo shortly thereafter. Anyway, Transformers was the only HD DVD flick I bought, and I decided to check it out again, since I was bored off my behind. Suffice it to say, the movie was just as awesome as I remembered it being, and I had the sudden urge to go see the sequel.

It was almost 11 at night, so I hopped online to see if there were any showings left. Fortunately there was one, 11:05, so I jumped in my car and hauled ass to the theater. The obnoxiously bad light timing in Colorado Springs coupled with the suffocating presence of cops out on holiday patrol stifled the "haul ass" quite a bit, but I still managed to make it to the show after only missing most of the previews. I did see an interesting trailer for G.I. Joe. I really hope that movie is better than I'm currently thinking it's going to be. We'll see.

Anyway, cue Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Like all the movies I've seen so far this summer, it was far better the second time around. Perhaps it was that I had just finished watching the first movie, so I was already involved with the characters, but I had a hell of a time at the show. I came out of the show positively giddy at the awesomess.

Taken as a whole experience, Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the two make up probably one of my favorite movie experiences ever. Both movies are just so good.

So... financials time. Transformers took in another $42.5 million this weekend, tied with the new Ice Age movie for weekend gross. The extra cash bumped Transformers into the highest grossing movie of 2009 slot, surpassing Up after just its second weekend of release. After a mere 12 days, the movie has brought in $293.1m domestically and a ginormous $591.4m globally. Revenge of the Fallen is now the 31st highest grossing (domestically) movie of all time, and you can probably look for it to climb significantly higher on that list before its box office run is through. I think it's possible we'll see Transformers break the $400m barrier, which would make it, amusingly, the lowest critically scored movie to break that barrier... ever.

Given my love for the movie, I would love to see this happen, as it's just a slam in the face of the critics who bashed the crap out of the movie.

Go, Transformers!

No comments:

Popular Posts