Wednesday, October 01, 2008

An Update from Microsoft (still hate 'em)

As an update to my previous post, here is the email I sent to Microsoft yesterday:
Be specific when describing your problem. The details that you include enable us to promptly send you the most likely solution to your issue.

   This is my third attempt to get assistance with this problem. I've sent emails once a week for the past 2 weeks (9/15 and 9/24) and never received a response. The ticket number I was given was [redacted].

When I attempt to use my Live ID to sign in to MSN from anywhere (MSN Homepage, XBox Live, Messenger, Trillian, Hotmail) from any browser (IE 8/7/6, Firefox 3.0.1, Chrome) on any computer at work or at home, I receive the following error: 

Provide account information 
We're unable to retrieve information for this page at this time. We're sorry for the inconvenience, please try again later. 

There is a button that says Sign in to Windows Live, which takes me back to the sign in screen. After attempting to sign in again, the error message is displayed again. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks, and it happens every time I try to sign in. 

I have recently upgraded to Firefox 3.0.1 and IE 8 on both computers - which is the only new software I've installed recently; however, a test on a computer running IE 7 without Firefox yielded the same results, and the same thing happened with IE 6. 

If it helps, the URL for the error message is as follows: [redacted]  

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

So today, a Microsoft CCR replied with the following email:

Thank you for contacting the Windows Live Technical Support; my name is Max, and I will be assisting you with your issue (based on what you selected on our support page), you are experiencing issues with signing in or you are seeing an invalid password error. This automated response will provide you the information needed to optimize your browser settings that has been known to resolve sign in issues.  If this response does not resolve your issue or you have already tried to optimize your browser, reply to this message.

 

First, we want to make sure that the account name (E-mail Address) that you are using is spelled correctly on the sign in page. Then you will want to ensure that the password is the correct password for the account you are attempting to sign in to. We have found that this is a resolution step that many have overlooked. Your email address might be correct, but a simple misspelled domain name can cause additional headaches. 
Ie: 
yourname@htomail.com or yourname@hotmial.com. In these examples, the name hotmail was mistyped and has caused some of the issues you might be seeing.

 

Next, we have a site that can walk you through to optimize your Internet Explorer browser: Windows Live ID Space. If the link does not work, you can use the direct web page: http://liveidsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!4D45F3F81F297BB6!110.entry.

 

If you have forgotten your password, then you can reset a forgotten password online by selecting the link under the password box on any log in page that states "Forgot your password?" or by going directly to this link: Forgot your password?, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the password reset instructions.

 

The information for changing your  password can also be found on our online help: Click Here or go to the following link: http://help.live.com/Help.aspx?&project=LiveIDv1&querytype=topic&query=Accountv1_PROC_ChangePassword.htm

 

Verify that these steps either resolves, or does not resolve the sign in problems you are seeing. If the information in this email does not resolve your questions or if you are writing about a different problem or question, reply to this message with additional details and error messages you are seeing. Thank you for contacting the Windows Live Technical Support.

 

Sincerely,

Max : Windows Live Technical Support SR

...
...
...
Did he even read the bloody email I sent?! It confuses me why their form explicitly tells you to include as many details as possible, yet the rep who receives the email DOES NOT READ IT. Check out the language in the first paragraph. "This automated response [...]" That means that Max (assuming his/her real name is Max), simply clicked a button that ran a macro for a general sign in issue without actually reading the letter. I mean, come on, my email says absolutely nothing about my username and/or password being incorrect, so why include that BS? And, "optimizing" my Internet Explorer obviously isn't going to do anything considering it happens in Firefox, Trillian, and on my freaking XBox 360!!! Oh wait, it's an automated response.


So, I wrote Max back.
Max,

I am glad to have received a reply, however, your automated response did me no good. Your online form asked me to provide as many details as possible so you could help me resolve my issue, but it is apparent that you failed to read the details I provided. This issue is not on my end. I am spelling my email address correctly, and I did not forget my password. The error that I provided you with is not an "incorrect user name or password" error. Also, the error has nothing to do with whether or not my IE browser is "optimized", because it happens on all browsers as well as instant messaging programs and through my XBox 360.

I am copying and pasting my original email here for your convenience. Please read it, and do not send me another automated response. 

Thank you.

Hopefully, this time, I get some results. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that. Microsoft helpdesk reps couldn't even figure out why my windows calculator stopped working after and update to Service Pack 3. I had to fix it all on my own.

Popular Posts