Monday, June 30, 2008

Tourney Report + Other Things

So, after a week of getting roughly 3.5 hours of sleep per night (that's from sunday - friday), I got about 4-5 hours of sleep on Friday night, then Randy, Seth, and I drove 2.5 hours to Ft Collins to compete in a Magic tourney. I got my ass kicked, quite simply. I played in 5 rounds and won a whopping one of them. On the plus side, the one match I won was against a guy whose rating towers above mine, which made the victory the highlight of my day. Woot. I was using a homebrew deck, actually a modified version of the deck I played at the last tourney. Didn't fare quite so well. Now the pressure is starting in regards to building a net deck, just because that kind of deck has good odds of winning. Humbug, I say. Winnng's not as much fun when it's not something that you earn yourself. And while a good chunk of Magic is play skill, it still feels like cheating to use a deck that somebody else built. Besides, when everybody's running the same deck, that's not really a lot of fun.

On an aside, if I WAS going to copy a deck, it's be yours, Randy. Way more fun to play than the other decks floating around the metagame. Plus it's got strategies against all the rest of them.

It was a fun day nonetheless, aside from the ride home. Much asshole-ish-ness on my part, apologies all the way around.

Anyway, I had a fascinating email conversation with a friend today about douchebaggy friends. It seems he's been going through much of the same BS that I have when it comes to friends. It's nice to find somebody who can sympathize, though I wouldn't wish the pain that comes with douchebaggery on very many people.

He said one of the more interesting things to me today during that conversation. to quote "never take friendships personal". I find it almost depressing that this phrase it at once oxymoronic and true. Friendships are supposed to be personal; that's the whole idea of having friends. But, considering that most people are in fact assholes, I'm learning that it is probably better only to take the really close friendships personally. Fortunately for both of us, we do have some true friends who are there for support. Another one of the things we chatted about today.

So, that's my story. Now it's time to go proofread. WOOT!!

No comments:

Popular Posts