Monday, May 09, 2011

A Farewell to SGU

It is with a heavy heart that I return to blogging. After nearly a year of absence and a posts left unfinished, I return on the day that will, at least in my mind, mark the end of great science fiction television.

It hasn't been long that I've been a Stargate fan... just a little over two years now. But Stargate filled a void that I wasn't always conscious that I had, the one for great science fiction. For the last 14 years, the Stargate franchise has been giving fans just that. Like I said, I wasn't watching 14 years ago, but in the last two years, I've managed to cram in 14 years' worth of television, and those last two years have made me a passionate fan.

Simply put, I love Stargate. I've become a diehard fan, because the Stargate franchise offers me everything I want in a TV show and everything I want in a Sci Fi show. For me, it is the epitome of awesome science fiction, and I'm not sure I can think of a better way to put that.


While I love all the Stargate franchises, Stargate Universe really separated itself for me, not only from the rest of the Stargate canon, but also from the rest of the television I was watching. The character development, the story arc, the plots and subplots, they all hooked me. I very clearly remember the day about a year and a half ago, a cold, November day, cloudy and rather dismal, that I first discovered SGU. At that point in life, I had a DVR and still watched live television. I hadn't been watching SGU at that point, but it was recorded on the DVR. The choices for the day were go out in the depressingly nasty weather or stay inside where it was warm. I chose the latter and decided the day was time to catch up on SGU.

It was a decision that, quite frankly, and without exaggeration, changed my life. The first episodes of the show were captivating, and it was a matter of literally minutes before I was hooked, completely and utterly. Within a few days, I had written a blog post, one of my longest ever, entitled Why I love SGU Part 1 - The Characters. I finished and posted the blog post on Thanksgiving a year and a half ago. And because I was also just getting into the world of Twitter, I posted a link to my blog post there.

Within a few hours, I had met some of the coolest people I know, people that I now have the privilege of calling friends, people whose friendship I will take with me even now that the show that brought us all together has been canceled. Karrie and Sherry, my wonderful and hilarious e-Moms, Bruce and his raunchy humor, Curt at whose apartment I stayed and it was great, F.P. Molina whose Twitter company is always appreciated, and Terry, who I talk to every week and I'm still not bored with him yet. There are so many more people on Twitter who I talk with as regularly as possible, and you're all fantastic.

I've also had the opportunity to talk to several people from the cast and crew of the show, both on Twitter and in Hiatus Project chats. They are all wonderful people, and I wish them the best of luck in the future. I traveled to Chicago to meet and hang out with my friends from Twitter; I went to my first ever Stargate convention while in Chicago where I got to see the entertaining and hilarious Alaina Huffman, Elyse Levesque, and Brian Jacob Smith; I co-host a weekly podcast; and, as a team, we put together and hosted weekly Hiatus Project chats... SGU has been the catalyst for so many ridiculously awesome things in my life that it's hard to imagine it's gone.

Yes, SGU is great Sci Fi, the best in my opinion, and yes, I really could go on for a few pages about the cancellation and the general injustice this show suffered, but that's what I do on the podcast. No, this blog is more of a celebration of everything that SGU was about. It was a great show, but it was more than that. SGU was an experience (Well said, Molina :) ), and it was so because of the people - both those that helped create the show and the community that formed around it. I have had some great times and I've met some great people thanks to SGU.

So, SGU is cancelled. The last episode, which I have not yet seen, aired tonight, and then that's it. 40 episodes of amazing TV is all that's left of one of the best shows I've ever seen (and no, that's not spur of the moment hyperbole). What next? Life will go on, of course. But life will be different. SGU was only a TV show, but life will be better for its existence, I think. I'll always have a collection of SGU Blu Rays to fall back on when I start to crave great science fiction again, but more importantly, I'll always have the great people who came into my life because of the show.

Twitter tonight was all about the standing ovation. I think that's the most appropriate thing I've ever seen on Twitter, as it is the perfect way for us fans to show our appreciation for a great show with all the amazing talent that went into creating it and bringing it to life. This blog post is my standing ovation, my thank you message to the folks whose creation honestly changed my life.

So then, it's with a glad heart that I say THANK YOU to everybody who had part in making Stargate Universe. Your work is appreciated and will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Popular Posts