Tuesday, June 08, 2010

New Mortal Kombat Trailer... or Not

So, I'm sitting at work, and a friend of mine, whose opinions I respect highly (well, most of the time anyway...) IMs me and says, "Have you seen the trailer for the new Mortal Kombat movie?"

"No."

"You should. It's badass."

He sends me the link. In the back of my head, I'm thinking, yeah right. Mortal Kombat movie and badass should not be used together in the same thought. Ever.

This comes on the heels of an interesting debate we were having about the validity of Boondock Saints 2 as a sequel to the stellar original movie. It wasn't necessarily a debate, per se, since I haven't actually seen the movie. I was more looking for encouragement to actually take my time to watch it, since every other fan of the original that I know has said the sequel was about as awesome as rat turds on your pizza.

Anyway, before I get too far off track, I took the time to watch the video (hey, I'm getting paid for something, right?). It was 8ish minutes long, and one of the more fascinating things I've seen relating to Mortal Kombat since... well... ever. Think Mortal Kombat - campy bullshit + Saw (as in the help I'm trapped in the bathroom cutting my foot off movie) + assassin Scorpion and steampunk Sub-Zero and you pretty much have a formula for win. I'm not so sure about the new imagining of Reptile, as I was a fan of the green ninja mask, but hey, at least he rips people's heads off and eats 'em. Can't complain too much.

Oh, and Baraka + Capoeira = epic win. Johnny Cage dying, not so cool. Oh wait, pretend you didn't read that. Instead, focus on enjoying this spiff-tacular video.



I was going to do this whole rant about how we didn't know whether this was just some fan fic piece, a movie trailer, a game trailer (a la Halo Reach's pretty inventive live action commercial), or whatever. However, a quick Twitter search for the people who appear in the trailer turned up some interesting tidbits. The most relevant one comes from Jeri Ryan, the actress who plays Sonya in the clip. She says (and I quote), "It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film." She goes on to say, "More MK FAQs: I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was. And I'm not sure how you can contact WB..."

For you fact-checking types, you can verify here and here.

So, will we see a movie? If it looks like this, I damn well hope we do. Though, to be honest, I still would prefer masked ninja reptile. And let's not cut Cage's head off right in the beginning, savvy? He usually provides some comic relief (last breath cigar, anybody?) and that looks like it would be needed in a film so intensely dark. Oh, and can you add Ermac? I loved him in UMK3 (the last really good Mortal Kombat game).

On the upside, imdb has a page for it. Much talk of breach of contract crap. Sigh. Lawsuits be damned.

And for those of you curious about my earlier "steampunk Sub-Zero" comment, read it and weep:



Off to attempt Boondock Saints 2 (if I can find it...). Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I told you that the preview had much potential. As I was an avid Scorpion/Sub-Zero fan it's interesting to see the characters rebooted and now scorpion being on the less evil side. I sincerely hope they make this a movie. I will wait in line for this.

Popular Posts