Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Review - Iron Man 2

I walked into the theater to see Iron Man 2 with mixed feelings – everybody I knew who saw the movie at the Thursday midnight release thought it was OK at best. Some of the comments were substantially more demeaning. On the other hand, I had my own confidence that as long as they stuck to what made the original a great movie, I’d leave the theater happy.

The movie, in a phrase, did not disappoint. The humor was intact, it had some great action sequences, the villain was suitably evil, and Terrence Howard was replaced by the infinitely cooler Don Cheadle.
What’s not to love?

To start, this movie is by far funnier than the first one. The humor in this movie A) is spot on, and B) never lets up. Most superhero movies have a bunch of humor packed in right up front, then it falls off sharply as the story sets in. The exception to this, of course, is when the villain is a smartass. Iron Man 2, however, does not approach their humor as most superhero movies do. Since the main character is a sarcastic, narcissistic ass, we are treated to his particularly entertaining brand of humor throughout the movie. Because of that, this ranks as easily the funniest movie I’ve seen this year, and probably last year too. Downey Jr. nails this role, much like he did in the first one. He is, by far, the best actor they could have cast in this role, as his smart, arrogant charisma fits Tony Stark perfectly.

Between Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L. Jackson, and Sam Rockwell, I was rolling!

Speaking of Sam Rockwell… hell yes! I love this guy. I can’t say enough about this guy’s acting chops. It’s amazing the wide scope of things this man can do. From Choke, to Moon, and now in Iron Man 2, he plays a different character every time, and he plays them all so well. He plays the egocentric Hammer in a way that’s fun and infuriating at the same time. Hammer is a royal douche, but he’s a guy I loved to hate. And his high-heeled boots… priceless!

Moving right along on the douche train, I saw Mickey Rourke for the second time ever. This guy is also not too shabby on the acting front. I thoroughly enjoyed his performance as Whiplash, and he got to wield the most badass weapons in the entire movie. Electric whips just rock, they’re like S&M gone all wrong.

As I mentioned before, Terrence Howard is gone, and Don Cheadle is taking his place. I was quite excited when I heard the news. I’m not exactly sure why Howard decided to abandon his role – though I have heard (rumors only) it has to do with the fact that Downey Jr. was making more money than him… to which I have only this to say: “well, duh” – though I am ultimately glad he did. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not much of a Terrence Howard fan. I am, however, a huge Don Cheadle fan, and it was great to see him in this kind of role. He plays well off Downey Jr. for the most part.

And here we will have a brief pause so I can show you how smoking HOT Scarlett Johansson is in this movie. And her doing all that fancy ass-kicking shit… even hotter. Behold.
 

Then, there was Samuel L. Jackson. Of course, Jackson is the very definition of badass, so I won’t take up too much time telling you that.

The movie-stealer for me, though, was none of these actors or their roles. It was the X-Wife. Omglolwtfbbq! I died of oxygen deprivation from laughing too hard, went to heaven, had a few drinks with god, then came back down to earth, and my body was still laughing. It was very clever, if not entirely unexpected.

Overall, the movie was fantastic. What it lacked in deep story, it made up for with well-filmed action and a script with a sharp and hilarious wit. A friend of mine at work asked me about the movie on Monday. He was disappointed that all the things he’d heard about it were disappointing. He said “Please tell me it’s as epic as I'm hoping it is.”

That was definitely easy to answer.

Score: 9.8/10.0

No comments:

Popular Posts