Thursday, December 18, 2008

Turbo Tax Debacle - Update

Well, the feedback is in at Amazon. As of the time of this writing, Turbo Tax has 311 reviews, and 282 of those are 1-star. As I wrote here, customer's are crying out against Turbo Tax's $9.95/additional return fee, mostly because the people that are manually printing these returns are being charged extra as though they were e-filing the return.

Intuit (the folks who own Turbo Tax), in a press release, announced that they are now allowing customer to e-file up to 5 total federal returns for no additional fee. This is the most returns the IRS allows to be e-filed. All returns beyond the 5th must be printed and mailed seperately, but Intuit has also removed the fee for doing this. Customers can print an unlimited number of tax returns for no additional fees.

Customers who have already paid the additional $9.95 will be refunded, and for those who've purchased the products already, you can update it to allow for the additional free returns.

This does not affect the pricing for e-filing state returns, which is still $17.95/return according to the small print on the Turbo Tax website

Good to see a company listening to customer feedback and offering a reasonable solution. The reason for offering this solution is debatable, as it always is with big companies, but it's nice to see a solution nonetheless.

2 comments:

JenPB said...

Found your blog while trying to decide whether to stick with TurboTax, which I've used for the past half dozen years, or move on. WHY? Last year, the software glitch caused us some problems. I file early (in February) and the early issue CD they sent in shotgun manner was, Quicken customer service decided, faulty. They allowed me to download a new version.

That seemed to work, 'til I got my refund. It seems some of the information I entered through the "interview" process never actually made it to the form. It took an extra six months to get the remainder of our refund.

I'm not sure what else the software failed to report, what other entered didn't translate from the screen to the convoluted tax forms.

So...Turbo Tax or Tax Cut this year, that is the question. Does Quicken have its act together? Am I willing to bet on it?

Undecided.

Brian (Nunchux) said...

People I know who've used both tend to like TurboTax better for whatever reason. I have also tried using both, but my tax professional always finds ways to get me several hundred more than the programs, so I stopped using them.

Popular Posts